Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Great Day

I just had to comment on the fabulous day I had yesterday. Despite one disappointment, it was probably the best day I have had in recent memory. One of those rare moments where everything comes together and you realize how blessed you really are.

The day started off with participating in my first duathlon. A 2 mile run- 7 mile bike- 2 mile run that took place next to Folsom Lake. Some friends of ours, Jamie and Lamont, both participated as well.
Here I am taking off after the first run, showing off a little skin. Despite this bike fitting me wonderfully, this photo kind of reminds me of an orange on a toothpick. The run portions were on the same loop of trails throughout the park. It was a bit hectic at the start with 400 or so runners cramming on tight trails but it became adventurous at the same time. I came in at about 16:20 from the first run.

The bike portion was a true thrill. I now understand what they mean by the thrill of racing against the clock. I'm not out to win the race, but there were little races here and there as I picked out other riders/runners that I wanted to beat, pushing me to pedal harder up the hills and on the straights. The bike course was full of ups and downs and twists and turns. It also felt very fast.

Making the transition from run to bike was easy. Bike to run however, not so much. It took a good half-mile to get back in the running groove. I pushed through it however and finished everything in just under 58 minutes. I honestly didn't expect to break an hour.

So that was just the start of my day. We packed up and headed home only to make a quick change, clean up a bit and head off to Napa. I was able to attend a couple of football games at my old high school this fall. At the playoff game a few weeks ago, my old coach's wife informed me that we were going to have a player reunion on Jan 2 to commemorate Coach's 100th win. I said I'd be there and be there I was. Unfortunately, I (and Jayne and the kids) was the only person there. I guess it got cancelled/moved/postponed because there wasn't a soul at the school for anything related to football. In the spirit of true irony, there was a rec-league futbol (soccer) game going on. We watched that a little then decided to make our way back to my parent's house.

On the way back, I got the impression that we should stop by an old high school friend's house in Napa. I fought it at first but said "Eh, why not?" and took the exit. We then visited Jim and Sheila McNamara's home, the parents of my good friend Ali. Ali and her husband had already headed back East from the holidays but I always enjoy chatting with her parent's as well. Sheila once commented (at Jayne's and my wedding reception no less) that if it weren't for the fact that I was Mormon and Ali was Catholic, she hoped we would get married! At any rate, we still remain good friends to this day.
We had a wonderful visit with them. The kids absolutely loved their little dog and it was fabulous to catch up. It completely salvaged a "wasted" trip to Napa so for that I am grateful.

Perhaps it was the post-race endorphins talking, but as we were driving home from Napa, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for how blessed I am, not because my life is free of trial or discouragement, but that I have a good family and good friends to help me through it all. Jayne is so good to me, patient, kind, willing to (figuratively) smack me around when I'm a goober. My kids are funny, animated, feisty and tenacious. I'm glad to live within an hour of family as well. We've lived away from them for so long I don't mind driving an hour to see them. The kids love their grandparents, just as I love mine. It was one of those moments where you realize that this must be a taste of what heaven is like.

So all in all it was a great day that was topped off by a trip to Chevy's with my parents and Grandma and a quiet evening at home with Jayne. After a tough week at work, I couldn't have asked for anything better.

3 comments:

Parkinson Family said...

Dude thats great! Sounds like the life, you've earned it! Looks like you have the racing bug too. Thats some serious time you made on your duathlon.

-JP

Sheryl said...

It's fun to have those reflective times to appreciate how blessed we really are. You have a great family!

Jamie said...

Glad you had such a great day, your "finish line crossing" picture is way better than mine.