Naturally, I went to go and see The Dark Knight on opening night this past weekend. Great movie. I would first like to refer you to a post my sister-in-law Tammy made on her blog about the movie that is very good. She talks about the subject of the film in a much better way than I can. There are some spoilers there though so go after you have seen the movie. I'd just like to add a few thoughts. Mine are spoiler free. First off, I really enjoyed the movie. However, I enjoyed it in a very different way than Batman Begins. I remember walking out of BB very pumped and fired up. I walked out of TDK very drained emotionally. TDK does not let up from start to finish. If you read the text underneath the PG-13 rating it says "Intense scenes of violence and some menace". I was wondering what "some menace" meant and now I know. Heath Ledger take on the Joker is truly disturbing and what was so frightening about him was that a person like that could exist. He was a true terrorist through and through. The Batman universe that director Chris Nolan created is grounded in reality, not fantasy comic book stuff. TDK was more of a crime drama than a superhero movie and one that vividly portrayed what a world of anarchy would be like, and it was frightening. As Tammy discusses though, people should not be turned off to the movie by this because the ultimate message is hope. You will see what the citizens of Gotham are made of in the face of this terror and hopefully glean some good lessons out of it. I was helping a friend move yesterday and one of my buddies jokingly asked if the movie changed my life. While I wouldn't go as far as to say that my life course has now been changed as a result of a movie about a man in a bat suit, it did remind me of why I love movies to begin with. I will enjoy watching this again and again when it arrives on DVD. I will be so bold as to state that this movie will be nominated for Best Picture, Chris Nolan for Best Director and Heath Ledger for Best Supporting Actor. I would not be surprised to see each of them win either. So if you can stomach the heaviness of the film, I recommend it.
5 comments:
Great post! I feel the same way you do about all that you mentioned. I love how the director tried to steer clear of CGI and focus more on real world scenes and sets to portray the reality of the situation. Very intense movie, very different from the first, but still one of my favorites. It's too bad that Heath Ledger died because some might think that the hype of the movie is surrounding his death. He really gave the performance of a lifetime. WOW! WOW! WOW! What a villain indeed.
Thanks for the shout out :) I definitely agree, more of a crime drama. I have no doubt that Heath Ledger will get something huge for this. I will be buying this one as soon as it comes out too :)
And the picture of Darcy and Jeff below is just TOO adorable :) Im so excited to see them and Jayne soon. (Wish you were coming too but I'll come out in the fall I hope :)
I just had to let you guys know that I was not trying to avoid your phonecall about watching the kids on Saturday night. The message was left on Nate's phone and he never gives me the messages. We had Nate' parents in town and were way busy. Can we get a raincheck and watch them another time?
Between your review and your sisters, how could anyone not want to see the movie! I was feeling some hesitation just like your sister mentioned but now I can't wait to go!
Haven't seen it yet but am totally excited about it. I was just taking a glance to see if the post for Jeff is up yet...Happy Birthday Jeff. Sorry we aren't there to celebrate Fireman-style like last year.
Post a Comment