Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Meal Planning


I just finished this long email to my sister and thought it might be interesting to some others who might read our blog.
One more thing to add is "I LOVE WINCO!"

Meal planning is one of the harder things I have to do. I feel like I have found a good method for us lately. I make a list of six meals for the week. I shop for those meals. I don't assign the meals to a particular day to give us a little flexibility. Sometime the six meals last 8-9 days if we eat leftovers or go out to eat or get invited to a friend's house. This way I don't HAVE to go shopping in exactly a week. If I am really on top of things I shop for the whole month. But you still end up going to the store for fresh food (milk, bread, fruits and veggies, etc).

My list of meals for this week (I had you in mind this week so they are all things we made at home)

Hawaiian Haystacks
Chinese Chicken Salad
Stir Fry
Taco Salad
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
Pizza

Last Weeks Menu

Mexican Fiesta Biscuit Bake
Chicken Pillows
BBQ Beef Sandwiches
Beef Sour Cream Enchiladas
Salmon Cakes and Quinoa
Pizza

A while ago I talked to Greg and he said that to save money and to stop going out to eat so much every Friday night they have breakfast for dinner. AJ and I discussed what we would like to do once a week instead of going out. Can you guess? PIZZA! I don't like ordering pizza. It is so expensive and very greasy. So we make our own dough in the bread maker and get a little creative with toppings. It is fun and tastes really good. I really think it is one reason we haven't gained weight having pizza every week. The crust is thin and low fat and we use a moderate amount of cheese. So, some people do Taco Night or Potato Bar Night. Whatever you like. You could even do Sunday, Roast day, Monday, Mexican, Tuesday, Italian, Wednesday Chinese, and so on. This way you have an idea, think of something that sounds good and then make it.

Another thing you can do is always have a few things in your pantry that you can make a meal of. Like the ingredients for Chicken and Rice Casserole. Or Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo. Or try to copycat your favorite meals at restaurants. Then you can make it yourself for less and probably better tasting and better for you. There are a ton of websites with copycat recipes.

I try to cook two or three meals at once. At least the meat. I cook a lot of ground beef and make enchiladas. Then I freeze it into portions and use it for meat in pasta sauce or tacos. I cook up chicken and use some for chicken stir fry and some for chicken pillows in a couple days. I make a big beef roast or pork roast. Same thing. This saves money (buy in bulk and use smaller amounts in each recipe, saves time, and save energy yours and the ovens. Save you from getting hot in the summer too. Just pull out the cooked meat and add it to a recipe instead of getting all hot and sweaty again over a hot stove).

Some of AJ's favorite meals are ones that I just make up, or make do with what we have on hand. Pick a meat, starch, and veggie that you have, add some spices and, viola, awesome dinner. Meat could be chicken with a rub or marinade, pork with rosemary and applesauce, beef tri-tip or steak or even hambergur patties or roast. Then your starch. Potatoes (so many ways- roasted potatoes and mashed potatoes are my favorites), rice, pasta, couscous, quinao (new to us, yummy). Then veggie. Steamed broccoli with hot red peeper flakes and garlic, peas, salad, corn with thyme, cooked carrots with brown sugar or garlic. I like to use real butter when making veggies. That is one thing AJ converted me to. Real Butter.

And then dessert. We love desserts. That is one thing we go out for. We have found too many good places around us. The donut shop around the corner, the gourmet cupcake place. The make your own yogurt with lots of toppings place, and Mochi from Whole Foods. So we just limit ourselves. Sunday is cookie day. We now limit it to Home Teaching Sundays. Molten lava cakes, brownie sundays, ice cream. In moderation of course.

Hope that is enough for you. We love to eat. But we are also on a strict budget. So we watch our portions and eat our leftovers. And something I have had to learn. Actually two things. It is okay to feel hungry (not starving because then you binge). And sometimes when I want a snack i am really thirsty not hungry.

Love you Tammy,

Jayne

10 comments:

adventure knitter said...

Now you just need to post up your recipes for things. Not all of us are as great of cooks as you are Jayne! (by the way...last night on our way home from the airport Meg asked if we could go visit you guys some day)

Nate and Lori said...

I believe a while back AJ was talking about the budgeting plan that you guys started and it sounds the same as one that we are starting. One of the things that we have to cut out with the baby coming is eating out, so this was perfect for me to read. And yes...I would love to see some recipes!

Mary C. said...

When Angie and Jim lived in Lincoln a shopping trip to Winco was tradition whenever I came to visit.

Lindsey, J.D. said...

Way to be on top of things! I am thinking that maybe now that I have a bit more time on my hands I will try harder to do something like this. It's hard work!

Seth and Karen said...

That is so crazy. We do the same thing. It helps keep me focused on what I really need to buy at the store and pass up what I don't really need. I also keep a list of meals I make inside my spice cupboard for those times that I just can't think of what to cook. It is really helpful.

Aleena said...

What a great post Jayne! It's good to see other families on a budget with great meal planning to get ideas from. Thanks!

The Larsens said...

Thanks for this post Jayne. We are also on a tight budget and I have a hard time planning my meals out in advance. your post hopefully will help get me back in the groove of things. Whoever said that next you need to post recipes is right. I am way better in the kitchen than when I was first married but I still have a lot of room to grow.
Oh and we do homemade pizza Friday nights. We love it. Maybe I'll have to add a potato bar night... that sounds tasty! He have Biscuits and Gravy (which is a breakfast food) for breaking our fast Sunday night. That's also super yummy for us. My hubby has a great recipe if anyone is interested. Thanks again Jayne.

Sheryl said...

Recipes--for these meals? I always love new recipes.

Corey Meyers said...

I loved Winco! I shopped there when I lived in Fairfield. And did you start eating quinoa after Darcy had it here? And, last, I'm really scared about being a cooking/working mom, I NEVER cook for me and Mark. And I eat very boring food, since I'm a fatty that's addicted to yummy food. Eating boring food keeps my addiction under control. That will be a big adjustment for me. You are an awesome mom Jayne!

AJ said...

Corey, we tried the quinoa and I think she liked it but I can't quite remember. As for the recipe requests...NEVER!!! bwahahahahaha. Just kidding, I'll keep bugging Jayne to post some on here.