Yesterday marked the second year I participated in the Tour de Cure 50k bike trek. It wasn't a race, but rather an event to raise money for Diabetes research. I raised about $215 from family members. (A funny side story...My grandfather has diabetes so I like to think of him as a reason to do this. He donated for me last year so I thought to call him again this year. When he picks up, I explained that I was doing the ride again this year and if he would like to donate again. "Nope!" and he hangs up! Well, I love my grandpa and was worried about him so I called my dad to see if anything was wrong. He laughed and said I must have woken him up and he just didn't realize it was me. My grandpa called back later and apologized saying it was the 5th call for money he had received that day so went on auto-rejection. He happily donated again this year. Love you Grandpa!) So the photo above is the group. Jared Parkinson joined us this year, myself, Seferina Kim-Walsh, a fellow classmate of mine and team captain, and Ian Walsh her husband. They are avid cyclists. Jared and I, not so much.
This photo was taken a few miles after the 9:15 start. Did I mention that it was 95 degrees yesterday! So hot. Thankfully, I brought my Fuel Belt cause the rest stops were severely lacking in fluids. In case you didn't do the math already, 50 kilometers is about 31 miles. As you can see though, the scenery was beautiful as we rode around Harford and Carroll County.

This is at the first rest stop. I realize that I am not #1. It was just to show that I am 1/3 of the way done.
More scenery.
Alright, since I didn't have anybody to take my picture as I crossed the finish line, this is what you get when you try to do it yourself. I suppose it is kinda cool that you can see my arm, the camera, and the finish line balloons in the reflection of my sunglasses. Despite the heat, I finished in under 3 hours, just a few minutes shy of last year.

And here comes Jared a few minutes later. I have to give him props for doing it in a mountain bike. So much friction. All in all, it was a fun event, we beat the heat, and got some great food. Thanks to all who donated.
6 comments:
Nice work! It was crazy hot yesterday. I'm pretty impressed that you can ride a bike and take a picture of yourself at the same time.
I have many skills.
Props to you guys for being out in that heat for a 50K!! It was almost to hot for us to walk to the pool. :)
I like your grandpa side story, that is really funny :)
Go AJ... It's your birthday...
That's really funny about your Grandpa! Way to go AJ
Post a Comment