Monday, June 13, 2011

Kindergarten graduation



Last Monday Jeff graduated from Kindergarten. It was the cutest thing. We got there just in time. If we would have been a few minutes later we would have missed it all. They sang two songs, read each child's name as they stood up to recognize them, said thanks for coming and then dismissed the kids to eat cake. I was left wanting more ceremony, but AJ said it was exactly the right length, about 15 minutes.

I am so proud of Jeff. He learned so much this year. He went from knowing the letter sounds to reading books. He can even read scripture words like "exceedingly" and "Jerusalem". A year ago I was considering homeschooling. I wanted to be more involved with his education and I wasn't ready to let my baby be exposed to " the world" . After a lot of discussion and research and prayer, we decided to have Jeff go to public school. And I am really glad we did. The positives far outweigh the negatives and we would have missed out on meeting so many good friends. I still think homeschooling is really great and would be a fun challenge, but I don't think I could have kept pace, especially with two little ones needing so much attention. Perhaps in the future, Jeff did great too. His final report card was practically perfect. The only area he needs to improve is finishing tasks on time. We are working on that at home too. Plus all that creativity takes time to process, right?

Now onto First Grade.

1 comment:

Corey Meyers said...

Yay Jeff! I still want to know what his teachers did to get him to read like that, or if he's just one of those kids that picks up reading without a hitch. I had a few of those this year that are just anomolies. And I have to say I'm also glad the graduation wasn't a huge ordeal, I just don't think a true procession with diplomas and speeches is really necessary in Kinder. But maybe I'm just a little jealous that we don't do that for our Kinders since they loop with us the next year, :).