Monday, June 20, 2011

"How are Jayne's Eyes?

People have been asking AJ this question, I just found out. I didn't know people were asking that. Personally I think it is the weirdest question ever. How do you answer that? Fine? Bad? Okay? Can you answer that in one word? What do people really want to know?

So I will tell you how my eyes are doing, not so you feel sorry for me because I hate that. Maybe just for me to write it down so I stop being in denial that I have a problem or that I do need to do something about it.

I have Retinitus Pigmentosa. It is a degenerative hereditary eye disease. I have it, half my siblings have it, my Dad and half his siblings, and many cousins and extended family. And half of my kids will have it though it is not detectable until the teen years usually. First thing to go is night vision. I stopped driving at night in college. I have always had trouble in movie theaters and camping and in the dark.

The past two or three years I have lost more vision. I wonder if pregnancy stress and depetion of my body's resources have contributed to my vision loss. This last fall I really felt like I needed new glasses and that something was wrong. I went to an optometrist and she wrote me a new glasses prescription but said the glasses wouldn't help much. So I went to a specialist who said I should rethink driving and didn't give me too much hope. My visual field test was terrible revealing a lot of blind spots. I also have constant twinkling or light flashes. I don't know what causes this and I didn't understand the doctor's answer.

So if I were to decribe what it is like to look through my eyes I would say hold a piece of saran wrap over your eyes (not your mouth of course) then hold up a donut infront of that so you can see only on the sides and down the middle, and then add some light flashes like when you stand up too fast and get light headed. Yeah, it's probably a good thing I stopped driving before I ran somebody over or killed us all.

I have also stopped wearing my glasses lately because I am not driving and they were giving me headaches. Also the kids have a tendancy to bump me (a lot) and my glasses would get bent and skewed and then my vision was distorted.

Some frustrations have been not driving. Not being able to get out and do things I wanted. I was already resticting my driving so this isn't such a big deal, but it is hard. Another thing is recognizing faces. Since I am seriously near sighted. I don't recognize people from far away. I feel like I am going to a new ward every week because everyone looks so different. The way I recognized someone the week before (a hair style, a red dress) has changed and now they all look new. It takes me three or four times after meeting someone to remember their face and put a name to it. This is why I stare at my kids a lot to burn their cute images in my brain so that I can remember what they look like when I lose more vision.

I feel like I have to tell people about my vision because I need rides but feel bad not returning the favor. When I tell people they say, "That is so hard." and give me the poor you face. I hate this because I am trying to not let it be hard. It is just a change. I have known I would lose my vision since I was 16. I just didn't think it would restrict me so young. Even AJ knew when we were dating that I had some limited vision and that it was deteriorating.

I asked AJ a few weeks ago what it will be like for the kids to have a mom who cannot drive. Who cannot take them to practices, parties, appointments, etc. He was super sweet and gave me an answer that helped me feel good. He said, "They will have a mom who is not so concerned about getting to the next thing."

Some adjustments we have made

I have my own profile on the computer that has super big font. I have stopped driving. AJ has started graveyards so that he is more accessable to do things for and with us. I try to call people in my ward or neighbors to help with grocery shopping and taking the kids places. (I haven't done to much of this yet, but see a time when I will need to do this more.) I shop on Amazon more to buy gifts or other things to appease my love of shopping at Target. We don't go to the movies very much. Since I don't see detail very well I have AJ help me sometimes with plucking my eyebrows and double checking my makeup. Sometimes I get a little carried away with the blush and that is never a good look (unless it is my night on the street corner).

So I have been in denial for a few months but now it is time to do something. I want to try contacts to see if that helps with the blurry nearsightedness and astigmatism. Then I may need to go to low vision rehabilitation wear they can teach me somethings before I lose more vision and would have a harder time learning new things.

Some possitive things about this whole things is that I have a very supportive and loving husband who helps me a ton. Not just with the phyisical loss of my vision but the emotional loss. So many neighbors and ward memebrs have offered to help and I feel like I am giving people an oppurtunity to do service and have the joy that comes from helping others. I am very grateful that we live close to Jeff's school so that I can walk him everyday and be close enough to help and volunteer. I have discovered audio books and love to listen. I can do two things at once and not just sitting and reading. Like I love to listen and put away laundry. You know how much laindry I did while listening to "The Hunger Games"?

So for all those asking how my eyes are doing, there you go. I appreciate your love and concern. I do need help sometimes and I am trying to be as gracious as I can. This has definatly been an adjustment time for us in our marriage and family. But I hope it will make us stronger and closer. And leaning on other people can hopefully mean we have more friends than we would otherwise have.

9 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm glad you wrote this post so others can know what it is like for you to have RP. I am on team Contact Lenses! My RP isn't as advanced as yours, but i hate driving with just my glasses on since I still can't see around the edges and have a continual reminder of what I can't see. When I wear my contact lenses, yes my vision isn't perfect (I can't see the clock across the room) but I forget that I have bad vision and feel normal :). Just so you have it in writing, I use Encore Toric lenses that are weighted in the bottom so they can balance the astigmatism. I get mine at Costco :). I need to start bugging you more so you get some sooner :)

(your blog always seems to have the funniest captcha words to verify that I am a real person - I was almost offended when I saw this one below ... "blitchap" :)

Wendy said...

Hi Jayne, it's me! I know, it's been awhile.

I had no idea you had any trouble with vision. I'm so sorry to hear all this and about you not being able to drive now. I wish I could live close by so we could go grocery shopping together!

Seth and Karen said...

Sorry to hear you are going through this, but it sounds like you have a great husband and support group. Leaning on others is one of the hardest lessons to learn, so if you get that one you are in good shape.
Hope the adjustment continues to go well. If anyone can do it with the best kind of attitude you can!
Take care and keep in touch...virtually at least! :)

Kim said...

You're amazing! I love your positive attitude. My dad has glaucoma, and I'm bound to get it too. Not the same at all. My mother has had eye surgery several times- to replace her lenses??, and my vision is crap. I honestly complain about/refuse to take my contacts out at night and have to listen to my contact person give me the third degree all the time about how "not being able to see first thing is the morning is better than not being able to see at all". I'm a big wah fest. I think I'm going to stop compaining now.

I miss your family!! I'll be out there in July and will have to stop by for a quick visit.

Nate and Lori said...

I had no idea Jayne that you had any issues with your eyes. I really do like what AJ said though about your kids having a mother who is not always concerned about going to the next thing. Life is so much better when we dont cram it so full of activities and junk that we dont get to enjoy the simple things. I always tell Nate that I loved right after I had my baby because I had not committed myself to anything and so I was able to just stay at home and relax. It was wonderful! And this is always a strggle of mine to not committ myself to too many things.

Anyways, it sounds like AJ is awesome and you guys together will be able to get through this. And just think, your son will be driving in about 10 years and then he can take you places. Im sure that gives you peace, right? :)

The Larsens said...

Huh. That's crazy Jayne! I had no idea. I'm so glad you have people around you to help. And, let's be honest, your husband is a remarkable man so you are totally going to be able to make it through any of the challenges you might have to face now and in the future. Between him and your precious children... so what if your life isn't like most other people? Your life is incredible. How many people wish they were you?! I love seeing the new pics and reading all your stories. I'm so glad I've kept tabs on your and your family post college. I bet listening to Hunger Games was really cool. I would have gotten loads of laundry done too!

Carissa, Brandon, Carly, & Tyler said...

Jayne, it was so fun to spend time with you and your family. I knew you had RP as Tammy called it but I didn't realize it was that advanced. You are one of the sweetest people I know and I wish we lived closer. I'm so glad you have AJ and it's such a blessing that he is able to work at night. Everyone is given trials in life and you are handling it with such grace and positiveness and being blessed for it. You're a great example to us all!

Sheryl said...

I do always wonder how your eyes are, just cause I love ya!! You are an awesome mom and your slow loss of vision won't change that. All your posts make me miss you. I'll have to give you a call soon because I'd just love to chat with you!

Daynia Lewis said...

Thank you for being so open and sharing this Jayne.
I didn't totally understand what was happening and I'm grateful to know. Just wish I was closer to you all!