Below is a note that my father sent to myself and my sisters tonight. Wise words from a true patriarch.
I have been thinking a lot lately about the goings on in Washington. I am not a fan of the stimulus package, the mortgage bailout, the auto bailout, and the bank bailout. I am not smart enough to have the answers, but I have thought a lot about the principles of the gospel and how they relate to the current economic woes ( I am sick of crisis and catastrophe) of our country. If we are trying to judge between something as being good or bad, I think we need to ask how it compares to what we have been taught in the scriptures and by our living prophets. I must say that my faith in gospel principles has been strengthened as I have thought about these things.
We have been taught to live within our means. So many of our problems are related to greed and living on the edge of our financial resources. Some of you have experienced that and you know how emotionally draining it is. Government seldom lives within it's means. Today so many are financially strapped because they had to have that new car or boat, the pool in the backyard, or that special cruise. Advertising tells us to buy now and pay later, you deserve it today, rates are low, get a home equityline to remodel that kitchen, etc. Borrow, borrow, borrow has been the mantra. What have prophets counseled us? Stay out of debt. Can you imagine how stupid it would be if you were financially living on the edge and your answer to the problem was to apply for as many credit cards as possible, and then use them to buy things you didn't even need, but wanted? That is exactly what is being done with these stimulus plans. We are borrowing money to fund projects that we don't really need, but the excuse is they will create jobs and stimulate the economy. Maybe there is some truth to that, but to me it totally goes against principles we have been taught.
Hundreds of millions of dollars, I can't remember the exact amount are being spent on teaching and helping to prevent sexually transmitted diseases. I have an simple, cheap answer to that, abstain from sex until you are married and be faithful once you are. So simple, so cheap.
How about the unwed mother problem? Same answer as above.
We have millions on welfare and government assistance. How do we take care of the poor in the Church? We pay fast offerings and give extra to help others in our immediate area. We pay 10% in tithing and the Church is self sufficient. I bet if the government asked 10% of everybody and that was all we paid in taxes, we would be better off. The Church has the perpetual education fund which helps those seeking better jobs. Once they have them, they pay back what they were given so somebody else can have the same opportunity. Those are private donations from members of the Church. The Church gives millions to those in need throughout the world. Those donations are voluntary and private. Imagine a world where everybody donated voluntarily to worthy causes.
The problem is that we have both political sides debating their ideas that are founded on philosophies of men while the Church teaches absolute truths based on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The world can never be unified in their ideas, while in the Church we can be united. That is why Zion can exist among us.
There is a lot to be worried about, but it should not override the hope we have in Christ and his Gospel and Church. I think it is so important that we are on the Lord's side right now, living His principles, keeping His commandments, and following His chosen leaders. We must align our will with His and if we do so, we need not fear. I believe we will be given the wisdom to make the correct decisions for our families and that we will weather whatever storm the next few years may bring, be it a light rain or a monsoon.
This nation will only survive if there are citizens who keep the law of the God of this land, who is Jesus Christ. It won't be only Latter-day Saints, it will be all good people that love God and worship him to the best of their abilities. If they only keep the ten commandments, the nation will be a better place.
America is the greatest, most blessed country on the earth. We will survive whatever comes, because I believe the majority of people are honest, hard working men and women. We have always been a resilient people and I believe we will continue to be.
Stay faithful, be believing and things will work for your good.
Love,
Mom and Dad"
11 comments:
I have always wondered that as well. The economics can be explained so well that I think 'yea, this bailout will work' but at the end of the day as a Christan it just doesn't seem Christlike but overall just doesn't seem right. We are spending our way out of debt???
Like all new scientific ideas though it is tough to use religion hypotheses geared to older technology to value them. It is why Christianity wanted to keep the vacuum idea from Earth because it has nothing inside and 'all things must have God' and now this multichurch discussion on the age of the earth.
And so at the end of the day I am completely confused. I wish an idea would come out that made more sense overall. Sure everyone loves this bailout because everyone gets something for free but that doesn't mean its right. I am completely confused!
I hear you Nathan. At the end of the day though, do you agree that these principles can be still be applied without the context of religion? 10% income tax, living within your means, donating to the poor voluntarily, not spending your way out of debt, etc., would all still hold up as sound economic principles in my mind. The abstinence and such probably not so much but I would have to see some sociologic data.
The vacuum thing is rather funny.
those are some wise words! thanks fro sharing. would you mind if i put a link to this on my blog?
Feel free Naomi. Don't copy and paste this letter in its entirety on yours however. My dad gave his permission for me to put this on mine and I wouldn't want this to turn into one of those forwards that gets passed around a million times and before you know it, it is being attributed to Jay Leno or something. ;o)
Amen to what your dad said. I couldn't have said it better myself. Now on top of the whole stimulus mess, more housing bail-outs?!? Will it ever end?
thanks, aaron, i'll just link to yours in a post on mine, but i won't copy paste the letter. i just think these are some awesome words and good advice for all of us.
I hope we weather the storm. It seems like Washington is digging their graves at time. The future of medicare and social security already are going to be impossible to support and here we are spending trillions more that will have to be paid back. You can only postpone for so long, kind of like the housing crisis. I'm already looking for property in New Zealand.
You have a wise dad. Thank you for posting that. It brought a lot of peace of mind. I feel the same way he does. It's much better to read than gloom and doom or conspiracy theories. I'll make sure Steve checks out this particular post.
Thanks for sharing this AJ. Your parents are wonderful and wise people. You have such a cute family! I love your family picture! And such adorable children!
I use to say "I'm no conspiracy theorist.." but after this whole thing, I'm a conspiracy theorist. I think it is a deliberate attempt to take away freedom and further enslave the minds and emotions of the nation. I don't believe it will lead to physical slavery, but slavery of the mind and heart might be worse. Check out Ezra Taft Benson's talk in General Conference in 1988 titled "I Testify."
Here's a quote that offers a warning then some ray of hope:
"I testify that wickedness is rapidly expanding in every segment of our society. (See D&C 1:14–16; D&C 84:49–53.) It is more highly organized, more cleverly disguised, and more powerfully promoted than ever before. Secret combinations lusting for power, gain, and glory are flourishing. A secret combination that seeks to overthrow the freedom of all lands, nations, and countries is increasing its evil influence and control over America and the entire world. (See Ether 8:18–25.)
I testify that the church and kingdom of God is increasing in strength. Its numbers are growing, as is the faithfulness of its faithful members. It has never been better organized or equipped to perform its divine mission.
I testify that as the forces of evil increase under Lucifer’s leadership and as the forces of good increase under the leadership of Jesus Christ, there will be growing battles between the two until the final confrontation. As the issues become clearer and more obvious, all mankind will eventually be required to align themselves either for the kingdom of God or for the kingdom of the devil. As these conflicts rage, either secretly or openly, the righteous will be tested. God’s wrath will soon shake the nations of the earth and will be poured out on the wicked without measure. (See JS—H 1:45; D&C 1:9.) But God will provide strength for the righteous and the means of escape; and eventually and finally truth will triumph. (See 1 Ne. 22:15–23.)"
Thanks for sharing Steve. I actually remember you paraphrasing that quote when we were in the MTC.
Joe - we were watching House Hunters International and a couple bought a sweet condo on a golf course in Panama (which uses the US dollar) for $209K. $15 green fees!
Post a Comment