Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Money Pit

Let me start off my saying that we love our house! We've been in for about 2 weeks now and while things are mostly in their place, we have a TON of cardboard boxes that need a home or a dumpster. Now, I've heard of homes being called a "Money Pit" before but now I understand better what it means.

It is so easy to drop cash to "improve" it. Here is a list of things we've done or are doing soon:

-Put knobs and handles on the kitchen cabinets and drawers








-Installed a few ceiling fans








-Bought a new bed for us so we could have one in the guest room (Costco memory foam mattress btw, still getting used to it but like it overall)








-Sealing the grout in the kitchen and bathrooms.
-Shower curtains for the kids.












-Sheets for the new bed
-Storage system for the garage.








-New crib for Grant (this was actually a gift from GG, thanks GG!)








-Install a backyard (starting at the end of the month)
-Blinds (coming this week)

Then there's the list of things we could do but if we weren't focused on paying down student loan debt as soon as humanly possible (50% paid off at the end of this month btw!)

-New furniture (Nothing like a new house to let you know how lacking you are in this department)
-Painting (which I suppose we could do since it is not all that expensive but we'd then limit our furniture choices since we already have color up)
-New computer (want, not need)
-New 3D HDTV (someday *tear)

So as you existing home owners can relate, it is so easy to just go crazy on thing for the house. Thank goodness for budgets!

With all the projects I've been doing, Jayne joked tonight that she's seen me be more "handy" these past few weeks than in all of our 7.5 years of marriage combined! Thanks to my mom and Jayne's parents Earl and Debbie for all of your assistance in my projects.

8 comments:

Parkinson Family said...

Congrats on getting 1/2 your loans paid off! I'm always asking Jared, "Who's that money guy I love again?" (Dave Ramsey of course that you introduced us to).

The Larsens said...

Life is a money pit. At least throwing money at your home is more fulfilling than many of the other ways we seem to be able to see our money vanish. It is hard to set a list of priorities for a new home but it's so fun to see things change over time and come together. And in the end you have created a home that is yours. :)

adventure knitter said...

We've been spending money like crazy for stuff for our new house in Kenya. We're moving into a 5 bedroom 4 bath! Towels, shower curtains, sheets...etc etc

AJ said...

That's awesome Amy! That will be quite the upgrade.

Nate and Lori said...

I just saw the 3D HDTV at Best Buy on Sat and could not believe how awesome it is. At first, Nate kept telling me to go look at it. My response was "why the heck does anyone need a tv in 3D? And who wants to wear these glasses all the time when they are watching tv." Then I put the glasses on and I was hooked. If only I could find several thousand dollars lying around to get one.


The house projects are never ending. And you can spend so much money! Congrats on getting the loans half way paid off though. Thats really impressive!

Corey Meyers said...

Welcome to our world. It is WAY too easy to pour money into a house, and fast! We had to prioritize as well, and I totally agree with how buying a house makes you realize how little furniture you have. It's hard to let rooms be empty for a while! We've bought so much and we're not even close to being as "done" as we want to be. But it is really nice to save and spend and be free from the chains of spending on credit cards. Congrats, can't wait to see it!

Aaron and Melissa said...

That will be us in a few weeks! I already am preparing myself for all of the money that it will take to do all that we want in our new house as well. I will have to learn more patience and gradually doing things over time! Can't wait to see more pics of it.

Sheryl said...

That is something I am not looking forward to...there are SO many places money can go. The more you make the more places you have to put it.