Saturday, March 14, 2009

RPM

We've been in California for a few days now for the purpose of finding a place to live. I'll discuss that in another post but for now I wanted to talk about a great day Jayne and I had meeting my pharmacy supervisor Tom. We drove up to Sacramento to meet him in his office for a bit before he took us to the 3 possible stores I could be placed at. I'm really gunning for the Citrus Heights store for a few reasons but the funding for a 3rd pharmacist has to be approved there first. It has been submitted but just needs to be approved. It won't be a huge deal if I cant but I really liked the staff there. Anyway, after visiting the stores, Tom took us to Chevy's for lunch and this place called RPM after that for some kart racing. This isn't your typical kart racing either. Think Mario Kart on 150 cc. These suckers go about 30-40 mph.
Here I am ready to race. Tom was in front. He has raced real cars before so gave me some tips and was a pretty fantastic racer. Plus he had about at least a 40 lbs weight advantage over me. We raced twice at 25 laps apiece, they put us in racing suits and all. After the race, we were given a print-out that noted all of our lap times, our average RPM's, the whole 9 yards. All in all, it was a fun, white knuckle experience. So if you ever come out to visit us, we'll take you there.
I found out that Tom and I have a lot in common. When we were driving around, he asked about our hobbies. Not wanting to come across as a total nerd, I intentionally left out video games and naturally highlighted running, biking, etc. However, at the Citrus Heights store, as we were talking with the pharmacist there who brought up his (the pharmacist's) love of all things electronics, I naturally asked if he was a gamer, which he confirmed. So we start talking about Xbox and PS3 and such. Well, it turns out that Tom is a huge gamer too! So from then on we just start talking games. It was so great! Jayne just smiled and rolled her eyes but he's not her boss so whatever. ;) At any rate, I am excited for the next step and to move out to the area in May. More on the house hunt later.

6 comments:

Parkinson Family said...

Now thats sounds like a fun boss to work for!

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome, I hope you get to work with the people that you enjoyed talking to! I want the house hunting update now though ...

James and Amy said...

I've never seen that before. That looks like at lot of fun!

Joe, D.D.S. said...

They had something like that in Utah. Lindsey and I went twice and each time I won first place...so challenge me to a duo! Exciting to have a cool boss.

Sheryl said...

Ian and I did that in Arizona and it was awesome! It sounds like you will be working for someone who you like. That is great.

Jamie said...

Looks like crazy fun. Glad you guys had a good trip.