I received this card and brownies when I came into work the other day after a few days off. This patient had dropped them off while I was away. Inside it said the following:
"AJ,
I can't thank you enough for the help you gave me a few weeks ago. I was having a dystonic reaction to compazine, but I was just scared. You kept me calm & remained calm yourself. You identified what was happening to me & told me to go to the ER. Fortunately, because of you, I was able to give the 911 operator the information the paramedics needed to save my life. They said the reaction was extreme & time was of the essence. I am forever grateful!"
My Side of the Story
This girl called me one morning complaining of muscle stiffness and she was starting to hunch over and wondered if it was because she hadn't taken her nausea medication. After asking her some questions and looking up some adverse reactions to the drugs (Compazine and Zofran) I noticed that tardive dyskinesia was a possible serious side effect) and told her that she in fact should not take that medication anymore and needed medical attention immediately. She was so scared but I told her she would be okay but needed help right away. Then we hung up. She was in my thoughts the rest of the day but you often never know how it turns out.
She called the store a few days later and informed me that she called 911 and they sent an ambulance to her home, where they found her curled in the fetal position from the muscle tension and barely breathing. Wow! I was so glad that she was okay. I did not expect her to be so thoughtful and send that nice card. It is sitting on my desk now in front of my monitor to remind me that not all of my clients are crack heads trying to get their next fix of Norco. My bro-in-law had a similar, yet even more spectacular, experience helping out a fellow in need recently as well. He learned (and my experience reiterates to myself) that there are genuinely good people out there in true need and God puts us in their path to help them out. I was touched by her kindness.
5 comments:
Wow! Thanks for sharing that story. What an experience! I'm glad you were able to help that woman!
That is a great story! Way to be a real hero.
Jayne does look fantastic in the previous post!
That's a neat story! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure that will be something that you will remember forever and keep you going and remember why you do what you do.
Hope you guys are doing well!
How cool to be able to help someone in that way. Way to go AJ!
That is such a great story. I can't believe how old the kiddos are looking ... so cute!!!
Post a Comment